A home away from home

There is something which on the surface sounds like a great benefit but in reality has a sting in its tail: That something is the fact that Swedish people in general speak excellent English, so good that it’s all too easy for me to convince myself that I don’t need to study and learn Swedish at all. Helping to make me feel guilty and a little ungrateful with my decision not to study is one small detail. If I wanted, I could attend Swedish lessons every day of the week and it would be completely free. (Ok! That’s 2 reasons) Of course the times they run are not really suitable for me, but the fact is they are available. For the past 20 years I have lived outside of my home land and for most of that time I have felt like a foreigner. There are obvious reasons why that could be the case in places like Japan and Indonesia, but even in Germany (actually especially there) I never felt accepted and always knew that I was living in a country which was not my own. In Sunne I honestly forget all about nationality. I never feel out of place and the community is such that as long as your intentions are good anyone could settle here. I can speak some Swedish and will try harder to get better, but I blame it on you, yes all my Swedish friends who may read this. If you guys could only have been a little worse in English, im positive I would be much better in Swedish!! One final thought: being accepted into Swedish society allows me to enjoy my sport so much more. As a Scot I was not used to ever winning anything, but now as an adopted Swede I cheer on as we win at ice hockey, qualify for world cups in football and kick butt at handball. I may not know what bandy or innebandy actually are or how you play them but as long as we are winning, who cares.

Kommentarer

Anonym sa…
Thanks för att du skriver på ditt hemlands språk.På detta sätt kan man få språklektioner genom att läsa bloggen. Skönt att få höra lite annat än Selma och annat turistprat.

Populära inlägg